Skyscraper Lift Plunges 84 Floors with Six People Inside in Chicago

Six people who were trapped inside an elevator survived an 84-story fall in the city of Chicago, in the United States, according to US media. Those affected were on the 95th floor of a skyscraper when the elevator collapsed to the 11th floor in a matter of seconds. The elevator was left hanging and the survivors were able to call the emergency teams.

The event occurred last Friday at midnight. Three couples of strangers took the elevator after leaving a luxurious restaurant in a skyscraper in the city when they noticed something unusual. Once inside, they perceived that the speed with which the machine came down was abnormal. Suddenly, a slowdown brought them back to reality.

The elevator had gone down 84 floors in a matter of seconds. From the restaurant located on the 95th floor of the skyscraper to level 11 of the construction. The skyscraper, renamed 875 North Michigan Avenue this year, is the fourth tallest in the city of winds.

According to the version of the survivors, after the fall, the elevator was left hanging on the 11th floor. There, the three couples sent text messages to their friends, who in turn alerted the emergency services.

“At first, we thought we were going to die,” said Mexican Jaime Montemayor, who had visited the city with his wife. Montemayor described what lived inside the cubicle: “We were going down and I felt we were falling and then I heard a clack clack clack noise “, picked up a local newspaper. A law student at Northwestern University described the Chicago Tribune feeling like turbulence on an airplane.

It is believed that at least one of the cables in the cabin broke. However, the causes of the incident and why the elevator did not touch the ground are still being investigated. The building had passed an inspection in July, local media reported. Rescuers took three hours to free the group, which was heading to the lobby of the building.

The firemen had to open a hole in the wall to save them. “We could not do an elevator lift rescue, we had to make a hole in the wall of the 11th floor of the garage to open the elevator doors,” Chicago Fire Department chief Patrick Maloney said on American television.

CIA believes Mohammed Bin Salman is the Mastermind Behind Khashoggi Death

According to media reports, the CIA assumes that Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has ordered the assassination of the government-critical journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

The “Washington Post” reported on Friday (local time) that the US secret service was relying, among other things, on a telephone conversation between Khashoggi and the Saudi Arabian ambassador to the USA, a brother of the Crown Prince. According to the New York Times, however, the CIA has no clear evidence for its thesis.

According to the Washington Post, after evaluating several sources, the CIA came to the conclusion that 15 Saudi Arabian agents had flown to Istanbul in a government plane and killed Kashoggi there in their country’s consulate.

The Saudi ambassador to the USA, Crown Prince Mohammed’s brother bin Salman, had previously assured Khashoggi that there was no danger if he obtained papers for his wedding in the Istanbul consulate.

Salman rejected the Washington Post’s report on his phone call to Khashoggi. “This is a serious accusation that should not be left to anonymous sources,” he wrote on Twitter, adding a statement to his message. An embassy spokesman assured that Khalid bin Salman “never had any telephone conversation” with Khashoggi.

According to the Washington Post, the ambassador made the call at the request of the Crown Prince. It is unclear, however, whether the diplomat was informed about the murder plans. At the request of the news agency AFP, the CIA did not want to comment on the Washington Post’s report.

The New York Times wrote that the CIA’s allegations against Prince Mohammed were also based on phone calls from the task force that killed Khashoggi with high-ranking Crown Prince employees. The recordings show that Prince Mohammed Khashoggi wanted to lure Khashoggi back to Saudi Arabia. But in it, he did not express the demand to kill the government critic.

Khashoggi, who last worked as a columnist for the Washington Post, disappeared on October 2 after entering Saudi Arabia’s consulate in Istanbul. After weeks of denials, Saudi Arabia, under international pressure, finally admitted that Khashoggi died in the consulate, but initially presented it as the result of a dispute. Only later did Riyadh indirectly admit that Khashoggi was “deliberately” killed.

According to the Washington Post, the CIA assessment states that Crown Prince Mohammed is the “de facto ruler” in Saudi Arabia. It is therefore a generally accepted assessment of the Khashoggi murder that “there was no way this could have happened without his knowledge or involvement,” the newspaper quoted a US representative. Prince Mohammed was a “good technocrat”, but at the same time an unpredictable ruler.

On Thursday, the public prosecutor’s office in Riyadh acquitted the Crown Prince of the suspicion that the assassination had been ordered, which had been raised many times internationally. A spokesman for the authority stated that the “head of the negotiating team”, who had flown to Istanbul for the mission, had given the order to kill Khashoggi.

According to the official statement, a 15-man task force was supposed to persuade Khashoggi to return to Saudi Arabia. However, the operation had degenerated into violence. The “Washington Post” columnist was stunned, killed and cut up in the consulate of the kingdom, explained the public prosecutor’s office.

According to information from Riyadh, 21 suspects are now in custody in the case, eleven of whom would be charged. The spokesman for the prosecuting authority said that the death penalty would be demanded against five people who “ordered and perpetrated the crime”.

The US government has imposed sanctions on 17 current and former government employees of the kingdom for Khashoggi’s violent death. US President Donald Trump, however, did not make any accusations against the de facto ruler of his important ally.

Following recent developments in the case, US Vice President Mike Pence has announced further consequences. “The US is determined to bring to justice all those responsible for this killing,” Pence said Saturday on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Forum (Apec) in Papua New Guinea.

Amazon to split it’s second headquarters between New York and Northern Virginia

The process of selecting the second corporate headquarters of Amazon has ended, after exploring for a year dozens of alternatives. In reality, there will not be a city that hosts its second world headquarters, but two.

Long Island City, in the New York borough of Queens, and Crystal City, in the suburbs of Washington, north of Virginia, are the places chosen for that second headquarters.

There, thousands of jobs will be created and investments will be made by the e-commerce giant. Jeff Bezos, the founder of the company, has considered that it is better to distribute resources equally between these two locations.

The technology has already made its plans official. They were advanced by The Wall Street Journal and later expanded by various media.

Financial Times also publishes that two sources close to the company have confirmed the election of the two cities. “These two new locations will allow us to attract world-class talent that will help us continue investing in our consumers over the next few years,” Bezos said in a statement.

The company has also taken the opportunity to announce that it will open an operations center for the East Coast of the United States in Nashville (Tennessee). There, the company expects to create about 5,000 new jobs.

The investment of the New York-Washington double project is estimated at 5,000 million dollars and will generate 50,000 jobs. Amazon is growing so fast, that its original headquarters in Seattle has remained literally small.

The shortlist to select a second headquarters included 20 cities out of a total of 238 candidates, including Dallas and Austin (Texas), Newark (New Jersey), Atlanta (Georgia), Denver (Arizona), Chicago (Illinois) and Toronto (Glen). Bezos already said that the final decision would take following his instinct, although they were going to analyze a mass of data to sustain it.

The corporate headquarters of Amazon in Seattle became during the last two decades in the social epicenter of the city. There he employs about 40,000 people.

The same thing is expected with the two new locations. The one in New York will be very close to the new technological campus of Cornell University, which opened last year on Roosevelt Island. Manhattan is just across the Queensboro Bridge and there is access to multiple subway lines.

Crystal City, on the other hand, is a neighborhood that is part of Arlington. It is a residential and business area, strategically located to the south of the capital of the United States. Amazon has several server farms in northern Virginia, which feed its huge data management infrastructure, and is competing for an estimated $ 10 billion Defense Department contract.

Google is also taking steps to duplicate its workforce in New York, The Mountain View technology is currently based in the Chelsea neighborhood.

There he also bought the iconic Oreo cookie building for 2,400 million euros and in March he announced the rental of jetty 57, right next door. He is now negotiating to acquire another office space in a new building in the West Village, on the property known as St. Jones Terminal.

The Alphabet subsidiary will have about 20,000 employees on the island of Manhattan when the project is completed in 2020, which will bring it closer to the Amazon template in its future New York headquarters. These maneuvers confirm the interest of these companies to be present in other large cities where they can find the talent they need to continue innovating.

These corporations are taking advantage of the interest of local leaders to attract them, who offer them generous incentives despite their accounts overflowing with cash.

The battle between the cities that bid to host Amazon was fierce. The frenzy went so far that the governor of New York, Andrew Cuomo, even said during the election campaign that he is willing to change his name to Amazon Cuomo if he could convince Jeff Bezos.

Finally, the State of New York will give Amazon a tax credit of up to 1.2 billion dollars that will be disbursed according to the jobs created, as well as other discounts for the space of its facilities.

The State of Virginia, which is the city of Arlington will also be rewarded with up to $ 22,000 (19,493 euros) each job and even the State of Tennessee, where the smaller center of the three will go, will subsidize $ 13,000 each new post work in Nashville for the next seven years, among other tax incentives.

Politicians see technology as an opportunity to strengthen the local economy with highly qualified and highly paid employees. The mayor of New York, Michael Bloomberg, bet strongly for the development of the technology industry in the city.

Joe Parrilla, an urban development expert at Brookings Institutions, warns that this prosperity boom can raise inequality, accelerate gentrification and harm the most vulnerable neighbors.

Long Island City is already the fastest growing neighborhood in the New York metropolitan area, where new skyscrapers have been erected over the last decade.

The fact that Amazon chooses to split its bet into two venues could limit the negative impact of its landing in the city, or, at least, better control its power. Therefore, it considers that in these cases the authorities must establish mechanisms that allow companies to connect with local communities.

Death Toll Rises As The Wildfires Rage Across California

At least 23 people have died and more than 100 are still missing in the fire that devastates the north of California (USA) baptized as ‘Camp Fire’, the most destructive in the history of this state. California Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea has informed reporters of the discovery of 14 new bodies, ten of them in Paradise, a city of about 26,000, adding to the nine killed by the flames confirmed previously.

Thousands of firefighters fight the fire in the affected areas of the state, although with little hope of containing the advance of the flames fanned by the strong wind.

More than 250,000 residents have received an evacuation order from a large area near the state capital, Sacramento, and from Malibu, a tourist city of Hollywood, in southern California, in the United States.

So far, all reported deaths occurred in the city of Paradise, Butte County, north of Sacramento, where more than 6,700 buildings were burned, mostly residences. There, on Saturday, the rescue teams have recovered for hours human remains of the charred remnants of some houses and were placed in a hearse.

US President Donald Trump raised the official death toll to 11 on Saturday night, an account that seemed destined to continue growing as jobs continued in Paradise.”Our hearts are with those who are fighting the fires, with the 52,000 evacuees and the families of the 11 deceased,” Trump tweeted.

Smoke over the town of Paradise could be seen from miles away, barely allowing the sun to pass. After the passage of the flames, several cars were reduced to metal housings, while the electric lines also fed the fire.

The majority of the inhabitants managed to escape from the danger, although the police told AFP that some farmers returned to check on their livestock.”The scale of the destruction we’ve seen is incredible and heartbreaking,” said Mark Ghilarducci, director of the state government’s emergency office. Governor-elect Gavin Newson declared a state of emergency to provide assistance to the most affected areas.

The fire called Camp Fire, the most destructive of which is recorded in the state began on Thursday morning. As of Saturday morning, it had razed 40,500 hectares and was barely contained by 20%, the California Fire Department reported, estimating that it would take three weeks to fully control the advance of the flames.

Some 3,200 firefighters are working to contain the fire, and three of them have been injured. Although an official cause of the origin of the fire has not been established yet, according to local newspaper Sacramento Bee, those responsible for the local electricity supply informed the state authorities that there was a power outage near the place where the fire originated.

Trump, meanwhile, had accused in a tweet a little earlier the local authorities of poor forest management that causes fires.”There is no reason for these massive and deadly fires in California, except that forest management is very bad,” he wrote.”Every year billions of dollars are granted, with so many lives lost, all because of poor forest management, remedy that or there will be no more federal money,” he threatened.

Two other fires are registered in southern California, one in Ventura County, near Thousand Oaks, where a former soldier opened fire in a bar on Wednesday leaving 12 dead before committing suicide. There, authorities said that an evacuation order had been given to some 200,000 people.

The Ventura County Fire Department said the “Woolsey” fire has already razed nearly 28,000 hectares and destroyed at least 150 homes. As reported, they have not yet managed to contain it. Evacuation orders were issued for some 88,000 homes in Ventura and neighboring Los Angeles County.”We practically had just enough time to put the dogs in the trunk,” said Patrick Henry, a resident of Malibu, one of the locations most sought after by stars seeking luxury and privacy.

Celebrities Alyssa Milano and Kim Kardashian had to evacuate their homes. “I heard that the flames affected our property and our house in Hidden Hills, but now they are more contained,” Kardashian said on Twitter. The flames destroyed Paramount Ranch, where westerns are filmed, including HBO’s Westworld, officials said.

Oscar-winning Mexican filmmaker Guillermo del Toro reported on Twitter that Bleak House, his museum that contains a collection of horror film objects, was also evacuated for being on the road to the flames.

According to local officials, the destruction has reached hundreds of homes, a hospital, a gas station, several restaurants and numerous vehicles. A total of 52,000 people were evacuated from the area. “The whole lower part of Paradise is totally engulfed in flames, ” Kevin Winstead, a resident of the nearby town of Magalia, told local television KIEM TV. “There will not be a single house standing.” The weather service said on Saturday that strong winds and dry conditions, which complicate the outlook will remain over the weekend.

Thousand Oaks Gunman Posted On Instagram During Massacre

Authorities have identified a publication of Facebook that is believed to have been carried out by the gunman responsible for the deaths of 12 people in a bar in California. Lan Long 28, entered the bar Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks and opened fire with gun Wednesday night.

It is believed that Long posted on social networks during and around the time of the attack, according to officials close to the investigation. In a publication, the author says: “I hope that people call me crazy (emojis of laughter) would not that be a great irony? Yes. I’m crazy, but the only thing they do after these shootings is “send prayers” or “keep them in your memory”, every time and then they wonder why these things continue to happen “.

A friend of the gunman, who preferred to keep his identity private, told CNN that this message “does not sound like Ian at all. I do not know what was going through his head at the time, but it must have been terrible. ”

Hours later, Long was found lifeless by an apparently self-inflicted wound, the police searched for more information at his home, where he lived with his mother.

Long was a member of the Navy for five years and was an artilleryman in Afghanistan, according to documents from the Department of Defense.

The police came to a call in April to Long’s house, after a report of disturbances and a team of experts considered that it was going through a crisis, caused by post-traumatic stress, but they released him. Authorities are working on putting together a temporary line of firefighting. They said that on arriving at the scene, Long kept firing.

After fifteen minutes, when the firing went down, a group of policemen entered the bar and found the dead aggressor by the entrance.

The scene was “hellish” when the authorities arrived. Police found people hiding in the attic. Some were so terrified that they asked officers to confirm that they were not the aggressors. Some media publish that the post on social networks was made on Instagram and that the network already eliminated Long’s publication.

Authorities are still analyzing the publications to learn more about the shooting. They have refused to offer more information about the gunman’s social media posts.